Sunday, November 10, 2013

Personal Essay: Tormented by 3rd grade bully

It was 1994, and I was bullied by a girl named Emily. She had orange hair and freckles on her nose. She made my life a living hell!
I would sit in Mrs. Grimsly's class and we would get together in a group for a group project. Emily always told me to shut up. She raised her hand in class and said I was bothering her. Mrs. Grimsly didn't believe that because I was one of the quietest students in the classroom.
I was a nerd; I had big round pink glasses, disheveled hair and bangs and wore my ugly school uniform and weird cheap Payless shoes. I was eccentric and I laughed at jokes that weren't funny and I was really goofy. But that's when I would talk. I was really shy most of the time.
I overheard Emily talking about the O.J. Simpson trial she said O.J. stands for Orange Juice.  I asked her "what's a trial" and she said "you don't know what a trial is? your stupid!". Hello! I was only a 3rd grader I don't think most 3rd graders knew what a trial was. 
That was just some of the conversations I had with her. I kept a diary and wrote down everything that happened in elementary school all the details, but I think I've lost that diary. It was so juicy and had every details of my time at Carver Elementary, including all my childhood school boy crushes.
Another memory I had of Emily was that I was enrolled in Girl Scouts back then and I found out my Emily was in my troop! Oh shit! I was so scared I told my family there was no way I wanted to go back to Girl Scouts! Whenever we had Girl Scout meetings I would sit far away from her as possible. Emily seemed inescapable.
Emily kind of looked like Pippi Longstocking.
 
I would always come home crying from school from the end of 3rd grade. I begged my family
to tell the Principal that Emily wouldn't stop. Finally the teacher sat down with my family and what happened was that Emily's grandmother died and she was acting out.
I was tired of excuses. I didn't want to hear all that crap. I know Emily's family didn't teach her good behavior skills but that gives her no right to be mean to me.
 
Emily wasn't the only bully. In the 4th grade, there were 2 boys named Sean and Chad.
Sean and Chad would throw mud at me when it was raining outside. They would chase me down  the playground they even tried to chase me in the girls bathroom to beat me up. Now that was traumatizing!!! I have so many horror stories of Sean and Chad.
Sean kind of looked very similar to Dexter from the rock band the Offspring.

                               Chad looked like the Albino version of Billy Idol.

I had survived the horror of school bullies, but what about the children that never did, and even end up committing suicide? Bullycide is an epidemic that is sweeping the nation. The documentary Bully talks about the horrors of being bullied and the kids that never survived it. I was never like that I just had to be tough and live my life to the fullest and never look back at the past.
I have always thought to write a memoir about my bully days but never really thought about making my dreams a reality. I've never met a book publisher in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment